Friday, June 11, 2010

The Spirit Pt. II: Doubt & Guilt

Doubtful and guilty. I was doubtful in myself due to low self-confidence battles I have had within myself while growing up. I felt guilty for making bad decisions with relationships I've had in my life and for hurting others in the process.

That little voice in my head has said time and time again: "Are you sure you can do this? I don't think so. I think you'll fail!" I've heard my little voice before and it's made me clam up and feel like I was trapped in a corner of my own anxiety. I was worried about not succeeding, and because of the worry itself, it made it more difficult to succeed.

I know that from being rash and headstrong I've done things to my friends and loved ones that, in retrospect, I've felt guilty for doing. I'm the type of person who can't stand to know that my loved ones were hurt due to my own actions. This guilt can hit me hard and serve as a temporary criticism lodged in my head for a long amount of time until I have the confidence or means to re-connect with the loved one I hurt, explain to them my fault, and apologize.

From now on, when I have feelings of Doubt, I will look back to these verses:

II Timothy 1:7
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."

Isaiah 41:10
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Matthew 21:21
Jesus replied, "I will tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to the mountain, 'Go throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done."

These three verses tell me that God is on my side. God made me and in doing so He gave me some of His strength. Because I believe in Him I am confident, courageous, and sure in decisions because I have His support. All decision I do are done because they are in His master plan.

Plus, I should never forget. If I do feel doubtful, I could always pray and ask God for help.

If, while growing in God's light, I feel as though I made the wrong decision and feel Guilt because of it, I can find these verses:

Romans 8:1
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit."

Romans 10:13
For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

I John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

I Timothy 2:4
"Who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."


I am not perfect in any sense of the word. I have sinned. I'm sure that I will need to repent time and time again for sins against the Lord. Prior to accepting God into my life, I sinned constantly in order to attempt to fill the void that I had without Him. I have repented for my sins, and each time I attend church, I apologize for them and ask for forgiveness. Each time I feel I trespass against my friends or loved ones, I apologize and ask for forgiveness. God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are all my family, all my loved ones. Shouldn't I apologize to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and ask them for their forgiveness?

I pray to God that Doubt and Guilt will cease being problems in my life. As I continue to grow spiritually and in God's light, I hope that these two negative feelings will not hold power over me any longer. I leave these problems for those in the dark.



No comments:

Post a Comment