Monday, July 12, 2010

The Spirit Pt. IV: Vulgar Language

We’ve all said them plenty of times. These words can be uttered due to angry thoughts, disappointment, sadness, and times of excitement.

We say them regardless of whether or not another word would fit better. We say them without thought or obligation to anyone.

My experience with these words is similar to anyone else’s experience: Vulgar.

Although I may slip myself, I don’t see the point in saying a phrase like “God Damnit.” God hasn’t damned us, ultimately it is us who damn ourselves through the decisions we make while on earth. Plus, it’s incredibly offensive to God. It’s not like He walks around saying “Jack Damnit” or “Allen Damnit” every time He gets angry with one of His children. Why should we say this of our maker?

Plus, the others….don’t really need to name them—They don’t sound intelligent, they’re pretty boring, and there are many other words that could be used to achieve even more of a desired and detailed effect, the dictionary proves this.

Wouldn’t it be more fun to instead use words that aren't usually used within the context of curse words? For example, in place of using the word "shit," use the word "stuff" or even the word "fudge." Isn't it more amusing to say someone's "full of fudge?" Plus, I think it would aid in the dispersing of anger that was felt, bringing a smile to the angered person's face. Laughter is the best medicine, so is being goofy. Replace the words that not only offend but hurt others by words that will most likely make the other person or group laugh, and more often than not, it will be easier to get over negative thoughts that were felt in the first place.

Whenever I feel the urge to use VULGAR LANGUAGE that would slander God's name, hurt a loved one or friend, or cause for me to become upset at myself for not using more intelligent words, I should look to these verses:

"The mouths of fools are their ruin; they trap themselves with their lips." Proverbs 18: 7

"A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered." Proverbs 18:27

"But Jesus told him, "No! The Scriptures say, 'People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God!'" Matthew 4:4

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." Psalm 19:4

Words are very influential and powerful. Why use words that are only meant to demean, offend, and anger friends, family, and God? To use these words and depend on them is to become a fool, to use words that are pleasing to God's ears are to attempt to live and communicate in his image.

From this blog post on, I will work on using the many other words in the English language to describe my feelings. Besides, why use four-letter words when you can use six-million dollar words and goofy words that are answered by laughter and joy felt by all involved?

No comments:

Post a Comment